Kiwa Licensing

We create trust

Rating for ‘en route’ instrument flying (EIR)

A holder of (minimum) a PPL(A) with an EIR (Enroute Instrument Rating), is allowed to perform IFR flights (Instrument Flight Rules) during the day in the ‘en route’ phase of the flight, on winged aircraft for which he has the class or type rating. A holder of an EIR is allowed to perform the competences if the meteorological information shows that both during take-off and landing can be flown under VFR (Visual Flight Rules). 


To be eligible for an EIR, you have to meet the following conditions: 

  • be at least 17 years old (as holder of a PPL(A)); 
  • have received and finished theory training and flight instruction in accordance with Appendix 3 or Appendix 6 of Part-FCL at an ATO (Approved Training Organisation), which has been certified by the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate; 
  • have successfully taken an IR theory exam in seven different fields of knowledge; 
  • have taken a skill test to prove to be able to perform relevant procedures and manoeuvres with a degree of competence fitting the licences issued; 
  • be in possession of a valid medical certificate fitting the licence including the EIR. If an EIR is requested for a PPL licence, you are required to take audiometric testing, besides that you have to be in possession of a medical certificate class 2.

These conditions are based on EU regulation 1178/2011, dated November 3, 2011, Part-FCL, Subpart I, Extra ratings, FCL.825. 


Use the application form on the right side of this page to submit your application. After receiving your complete application, including the payment and all required attachments, we strive to process your application within seven days. Incomplete applications are not subject to the seven of process. If your application is not complete we will inform you regarding the missing documents and/or payment.


Check the rates for the fee.

What else do I need to know?

We at Kiwa Register issue well over 100.000 licences to professionals (e.g. airline engineers, airline pilots, ship captains) and to companies (e.g. airlines, truck companies and shipping companies). 

We have a long history of issuing licences for the public sector. This results in a broad knowledge and experience when it comes to (EU) law and regulations, qualifications verification, production and customer support.

We process and review Part-FCL licence applications in accordance with EASA standards. Our experienced staff will process your request within seven days.

Foreign holders of licences can also submit their application to us. Consult the table below to ensure that we can process your application.