Kiwa Licensing

We create trust
Note: Read more about the longer lead time for the handling of applications.

RT and LPE Ratings

The rating RT (Radio Telephony) is a national requirement for holders of a licence. With this licence, you are authorised to use the radio telephone on board an aircraft, to fly in areas or in conditions in which a radio telephone is required (controlled areas and/or conditions of limited visibility). There are two ratings for this: RT-VFR and RT-IFR.

The rating LPE (Language Proficiency Endorsement) is a requirement in the European legislation comparable to RT. Pilots of winged aircraft and helicopters who must use the radio telephone are not allowed to perform the competences of their licence unless they have a (valid) language endorsement in the English language included in their licence. To be allowed to use the radio telephone, both requirements are applicable.

Note. For holders of a licence for hot-air balloons, the LPE requirement does not apply, but the national requirement for RT does apply.


To be eligible for the ratings, you must meet the following conditions: 

  • have successfully received and finished training at a registered educational institution, which has been certified by the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate;
  • LPE: have taken an assessment by a Language Assessment Body (LAB) recognised by the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate, with a result of at least level 4 (Operational).

These conditions are based on:

  • For RT: on the Regulation Licences and Ratings 2001 art. 18.
  • For LPE: on EU regulation 1178/2011, dated 3 November 2011, Part-FCL, Subpart A, General requirements, FCL.055.


Use the application form to the right of this page to submit your application. After receiving your completed application, including the payment and all required attachments, we strive to process your application within seven days. Incomplete applications are not subject to processing within seven days. If your application is not complete, we will inform you regarding the missing documents and/or payment.


Check the rates here.

What else do I need to know?

We at Kiwa Register issue well over 100,000 licences to professionals (e.g., airline engineers, airline pilots, ship captains) and to companies (e.g., airlines, truck companies and shipping companies). We have a long history of issuing licences for the public sector. This results in broad knowledge and experience when it comes to (EU) law and regulations, verification of qualifications, production and customer support.

​Foreign holders of licences can also submit their application to us. We process and review Part-FCL licence applications in accordance with EASA standards. Our experienced staff will process your request within fifteen working days.